Wednesday, July 22, 2015

CME, Industry and Outcomes

Recent medical literature describes the challenges of demonstrating the impact of CME on physician learning (with a focus on the lack of impact), and the need to reform the current system.  Writers suggest that it really is not having the impact that it should, given the financial resources provided.  Others have questioned how it is funded, suggesting that it may be biased given the resources provided by industry, and that it should be changed. 

While I admit my own bias as an Associate Dean for CME for a major medical school, I feel that it is important to study the peer-reviewed literature to best understand this important topic.

First, is the industry influence really that significant?  A piece by Cervero discusses this, and found limited evidence of the impact of industry influence on CME.  In the recent ACCME 2014 report (Table 8), only 11% of accredited CME received commercial support from industry.  My interpretation of this is that the commercial support is certainly not an overwhelming part of CME programs (our own institutional data would definitely mirror this finding).

Second, what is the real impact of CME?  The same above author recently published a piece in JCEHP (full disclosure: I am the social media editor for this journal, but was not involved in any way in the creation, revision, or decision to publish this manuscript) that concluded that CME can indeed impact patient outcomes and physician behavior (the former more than the latter).

Third, improvements in how CME is disseminated should occur.  Within this realm, patients should be included, and interprofessional learning should occur in team environments; this is highlighted by the new President and CEO of the ACCME, Dr. Graham McMahon, in a Viewpoint piece in JAMA that came out online earlier this week.


So where should we go from here?  I think there are several things we can consider.  Most importantly, physicians and other healthcare providers should continue to learn in order to provide optimal care of their patients in a changing environment; CME is one way to aid this learning.  Those in the field have been thinking about how to restructure it for many years and have made major strides in focusing on quality improvement.  Second, we should also consider learning healthcare systems as a way to promote learning for those who provide care for patients.  Lastly, we should be diligent about using technology to make our learning more effective.  Examples include online journal clubs and virtual communities of practice.  Given the complexities that abound in medicine in the current environment, anything that can make the process of learning how to "keep up" and best care for our patients easier should be welcomed.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a great post. I can't believe no is commenting on this blog. You put a lot of thought and effort into this post and you deserve some feedback.

    With respect to commercial support for CME, I would like to say this: medical education is darned expensive. A huge amount of federal taxpayer money is spent subsidizing the cost of medical school for our future physicians, in the form of support for training grants for residents. How much federal money is available for continuing education for these same physicians 15, 20, 25 years after they graduate? Not much. However the need to stay up-to-date on the practice of medicine has never been greater, especially in the field of oncology where I frequently work. Cancer breakthroughs seem to happen almost annually these days. So I don't think we need to apologize for coming up with alternative funding schemes for continuing medical education that involve commercial support. I think the key is to disclose and manage potential conflicts of interest, so learners can beware of potential biases in the educational programs they choose to consume. Trust me, if the federal government were providing support for CME, there would be people out there who would accuse the feds of bias, too, in terms of the topics chosen for instruction, or the faculty members chosen to deliver the instruction. Commercial support is an important ingredient for our thriving, lively, innovative system of accredited CME. Let's hope it remains that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing piece of writing desires thorough and in-depth data of the topic undertaken for the study. It got to be in-line with the topic of your analysis. See more residency personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Weak Erection,Wart Remover,Hpv,Herpes,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Brain Cancer,Lung Cancer,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete